DAY 1: CUSCO - ANANTAPATA
We leave Cusco in the early morning on a private bus ride along the scenic Vilcanota River valley to the historic town of Checacupe. Following a visit to its colonial-era Church of the Immaculate Conception, we travel through the spectacular Japura Gorge that leads to the town of Chillca. We begin to trek near this Ausangate native community, from which you’ll admire the impressive south face of sacred Mt. Ausangate. We continue hiking towards the red sandstone formations of the snowcapped "Nevado del Inca". Overnight at cozy Anantapata Lodge.
DAY 2: ANANTAPATA – HUAMPOCOCHA
Following a hearty breakfast, we take the trail to hike over a mountain pass. Dropping down, we'll hike past Lake Kayrawiri, surrounded by rugged mountain peaks with the great valley below. The hillsides are marked by rock strata of many different colors. We go on to Laya Grande Hill past the massive Glacier of the Inca and arrive at Vinicunca Hill, the world-famous “Rainbow Mountain”, with its strikingly colorful soil strata. We’ll eat lunch surrounded by a breathtaking landscape, with plenty of time for photos. Along the way to Huampococha Lodge, we may see hundreds of Andean geese nesting in the cliffs of Anta. We hike past the flatiron formations of Apu Labrayani to the Lodge, where we’ll spend the night resting in comfort.
DAY 3: HUAMPOCOCHA - CUSCO
After breakfast, we hike the final ascent over Anta Pass, and gradually begin our descent toward the trail’s end. The landscape changes as red sandstone cliffs are followed by a unique Karst limestone stone forest - perfect habitat for vizcacha (a cute squirrel-like species in the chinchilla family). Along this leg, the first native crop fields and homes come into view as we descend the valley. Our bus will be waiting for you at the trail’s end for our return trip to Cusco.
Rates per person are given in U.S. dollars. For groups of over four people, the cost per person is the same as indicated for four. We accept Visa and MasterCard. Please carefully read our "Terms and Conditions" for more information.TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Trip planning and full trek services, as indicated in the itinerary.
- Private bus transportation, from Cusco to trailhead and return to Cusco.
- Expert mountain trekking guides along the entire trek.
- Accommodations at our excellent eco-lodges in comfortable double rooms, with private bathrooms.
- All breakfast and dinners at the lodges; lunches & snacks served along the hike.
- Transportation for your baggage by llama caravan in waterproof bags.
- First aid kit and oxygen supply.
- Flights in Peru, or additional transportation before or after the program.
- Emergency transportation.
- Travel insurance.
- Tips for guides, drivers and lodge staff.