DAY 1: CUSCO - CHILLCA
An early morning departure from Cusco, in private bus along the fertile Vilcanota Valley to the town of Checacupe. After a brief visit to the colonial Church of the Immaculate, we travel along the Pitumarca Valley and through spectacular Japura Gorge, which leads to the town of Chillca, where we’re greeted by the community. From there it’s a short, easy walk to our first eco-lodge, or tambo. Once at the lodge, you’ll have time to relax and enjoy traditional music provided by the native musicians of Chillca.
DAY 2: CHILLCA – ANANTAPATA
Our hike begins at 8:30 am, in the direction of the town of Chillca, we pass the valley through the Qesoyuno sector, and then continue ascending with a gentle slope, through fields populated by hundreds of llamas and alpacas, towards the Quebrada de Alcatauri. Tremendous views of the glaciated south face of the sacred Ausangate Mountain, will inspire us as we continue towards the red sandstone formations of the Nevado del Inca. Overnight stay in the Anantapata Tambo.
DAY 3: ANANTAPATA - HUAMPOCOCHA
We hike a spectacular part of the Route in the midst of mountains brightly colored by red, ochre, and blue soil strata, similar to Mt. Vinicunca, the “Rainbow Mountain”. This unforgettable leg offers views of amazing geological wonders. Look for small bands of graceful vicuñas, frequently spotted in this isolated area. We’ll spend the night at Huampococha Lodge, in the heart of large rock formations, with splendid views of a glacial lake where Andean geese nest and feed.
DAY 4: HUAMPOCOCHA - CUSCO
Following a hearty breakfast, we hike the final ascent over Anta Pass and gradually descend toward the trail’s end. The landscape changes as red sandstone cliffs are followed by eroded Karst limestone that forms a unique stone forest - a perfect habitat for cute “vizcachas” (a squirrel-like species in the chinchilla family). Along this leg, the first native crop fields and homes come into view as we hike through the valley. Our bus will be waiting at the trailhead for the return trip to Cusco.
Rates per person are given in U.S. dollars. For groups of over four people, the cost per person is the same as indicated for four. We accept Visa and MasterCard. Please carefully read our "Terms and Conditions" for more information.TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Trip planning and full trek services, as indicated in the itinerary.
- Private bus transportation, from Cusco to trailhead and return to Cusco.
- Expert mountain trekking guides along the entire trek.
- Accommodations at our excellent eco-lodges in comfortable double rooms, with private bathrooms.
- All breakfast and dinners at the lodges; lunches & snacks served along the hike.
- Transportation for your baggage by llama caravan in waterproof bags.
- First aid kit and oxygen supply.
- Flights in Peru, or additional transportation before or after the program.
- Emergency transportation
- Travel insurance.
- Tips for guides, drivers and lodge staff.